Wednesday, 20 April 2011

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers...



Sitting with some of the Wheatley cousins...
I love mother; she loves me.
We love daddy, yes sirree;
He loves us, and so you see,
We are a happy family.
I love sister; she loves me.
We love brother, yes sirree;
He loves us, and so you see,
We are a happy family.
A Happy Family- Childrens Songbook

     
    One of the greatest things about me is where I came from. I am the oldest child in a family of eleven, and I have five brothers and three sisters. Mike, Amy, Leisl, Shawn, Dave, Cameron, Marcus and Keltie. We have a running joke about saying every one's names really fast in order both forward and back- and it gets PRETTY ridiculous. We all love music, we all have talents and we ALL have opinions, although NONE of us has ever been wrong, so that's lucky...
    As the oldest child I had a LOT of responsibilities and I was taught a great deal well ahead of my time. By the age of seven I knew how to clean a bathroom- like REALLY clean a bathroom. And when I went on babysitting jobs- usually for broke member's of the church- I never left a house less than perfect, lest my Mother should find out. We had Family Home Evening together, sometimes without my dad because he was a very busy Doctor, and read scriptures together- although not all the time. We went carolling together every Christmas and still do. We bottled fruit, removed wallpaper, did the great basement toy turnover, packed , cleaned and played games... together. And although we all have out faults I can honestly say that I love my siblings so unbelievably much that it is THEM that I go to first in crisis, and they are the ones to offer me aid when I most need it.
     Over the years we have acquired several married ins- and each and EVERY one of them has made our family and even better place. Truly they have. As we get older we have also begun to have children, which is utterly fascinating to watch- I LOVE seeing my siblings parent their own children and hearing some of the same techniques I use- as well as many I would never have thought of. I love seeing bits and pieces of the people I love in their OWN creations- it's unreal. And each of my brother's and sisters are different and unique despite our similarities...







Mike; My brother who is deeply contemplative, almost an over thinker. Mike is so kind and such a fine example, he tries with all his might to meet every demand that's placed on him, sometimes juggling more tasks than I would think were humanly possible. Mike and I have been buddies from the beginning, and when I was three and he was 1 1/2 we had an altercation where he threw a can of soup at my face resulting in the need for some stitches- I think like 2 maybe? On the outside it might seem like he was a mean boy- but in fact I suspect it was an act of desperation, as MIKE didn't talk until he was three. I on the other hand came out speaking full sentences, and didn't shut my mouth ummm ever? We are now convinced that Mike throwing that can at me was PROBABLY a plea for all the loud chatter to stop... Ah Mike, how I miss you and your overachieving ways.
Amy; My sister who lives to organise and develop structure from chaos. Amy is formulaic, smart, beautiful and almost too energetic for words. She shames me in her mothering skills and the things she teaches her children. Seriously she taught Brytan the rain cycle when he was like two... who does that? Amy is helpful and a fierce perfectionist, and she likes order above almost everything. When I need council and support hers is in my top three numbers called. Amy works hard and plays hard and loves hard and when I draw a blank- she'll fill it in... Ah Amy, how I need your witty, clever, banter.
Leisl; My sister who feels so utterly deeply, and lives to meet the needs of those she loves- often at her own expense. Leisl has goals and values and a strong streak of Independence- if you tell her she can't do something she will do it- or die trying. Leisl is the girl who absorbs sorrows and exudes joy, but if you tick her off you'll know- without question. She is wildly talented and has on more than a million occasions introduced me to music I simply cannot live without now. And so many times I've lost count she has saved me... Ah Leisl, how you help to put things into perspective.
Shawn; My brother who daily amazes me, and has overcome so much. Shawn has music dripping from his soul, and a sense of humor that both aggravates and disarms those around him. He is the brother who shows up with games in hand, hoping you'll stay and hang out. His talents are many and of such diverse variety and his independence streak gives Leisl's a decent run for her money. His tenacity and boldness and willingness to love and serve are amazing. Poor brother who has filled in the missing links on my computer so many times I'll bet he wanted to throw ME out the window... Ah Shawn the brother who keeps it real- even when no one else will.
SOOO many questions that my mom about lost her head and had to construct a rule whereby Dave could only ask 3 questions a day. Finding this limitation to his understanding VERY frustrating Dave started posing his 3 questions in several parts, thinking he had my mom fooled- which he didn't... Ah Dave how I miss your perfect comedic timing.
Cam; My brother who says sweet and gentle all over. Cameron is the brother who reminds me the most of my own son- wild and wacky one minute,and then quick to forgive, cuddle and compliment. Cam, is led by the Spirit and thinks very carefully about how he speaks. He's not wise about stupid boy things though, sports, video gaming, dancing, etc. A few years ago when we kids had made it a project- led by Shawn- to make Mom and Dad a collage and photo album as a surprise for their 30 year anniversary, we had soooo many pictures of Cam, but 99% were of him on the trampoline/ breaking dancing/acting crazy...Ah cam, how I love your sensitivity to the promptings of the Holy Ghost.
Marc; My brother who reminds me of the verse in the Book of Mormon where Nephi says, I having been born of goodly stature... How HE got to be the biggest I'll never know. Marc is passionate, and enthusiastic, and loving. Marc has a soft spot that means he can be hurt easily and abused, but he's loyal and witty and EASY to love. He might have been the bottom of the boys- but he is sure to NOT be overlooked, and his tenacity is going to be of great benefit to him as he gets married and has children. Marc is so talented as well, aware of music from many sources, and is fast to share his joyful discoveries. Actually he's pretty quick to share period... Ah Marc, how I love your practical spin on life- it's refreshing.
Keltie; My baby sister who has lived a lifetime in her 19 years. Considering all those that went before her, Keltie found herself an athlete of another colour- one we had overlooked- but should not have. Keltie has devotion and determination, that are both remarkable and frankly shocking considering how much she has seen in her life. Despite a great deal of turmoil and sorrow swirling around her, she has managed to maintain a sweet and innocent nature that SHOULD have been mine at that age. Her beauty and talents are great and daily making themselves known in new and amazing ways. She also gives Marc a run in the tenacity department, as impossible as that may seem... Ah Keltie, how I appreciate your cheerful and innocent disposition.
    Oh dear brothers and sisters, as I sit here writing this I am teary, and thankful beyond words for the blessing of having you all in my life. Thankful for friends and allies and accomplices. Thankful for comic relief- the answer to every movie quote every known, and a good safe network for my children to rely upon. Thankful that you all accept me in my imperfections, and sustain me. Heavenly Father knew exactly what he was doing when he gave us to each other, and as much as you all drive me bananas sometimes- everyday you bring me peace.

2 comments: